Thursday, February 23, 2012

Love, Beauty and Teaching...

This week has been full of "love and beauty" comments.  
"Ms. Eklund - you're beautiful and I love you to bits." 
"Ms. Eklund - I hope I am as pretty as you some day."
"Ms. Eklund - I sure love you.  You give the BEST hugs ever."
"Ms. Eklund - some day I want to teach us like you do."
"Ms. Eklund - I'm never leaving you...ever.  I love you too much to go to 2nd grade."
"Ms. Eklund - you are as pretty as a picture."


So, so sweet, truly.  My class has turned in to such a loving and caring class.  They constantly compliment each other - clapping for each other when they get an answer correct or get their cards flipped UP to Blue (for going above and beyond normal behavior expectations), AND they compliment others, such as the preschool students walking quietly in line.  It is the cutest, sweetest thing to see.  I would like to take credit for their tender hearts - and I perhaps can take a little bit of credit as I try to instill in them a supportive attitude.  However - I never taught them to clap or give pats on the back or any of that...THOSE things they've done themselves and it is wonderful to see.  To say they make me proud is an understatement.  


Each week I tutor three days after school for other schools in my district.  I work with 2 - 5th grade students and today I received the sweetest letter from a 5th grade ESL (English as a Second Language) student I am tutoring in math. Here is what she said:


"Dear Ms. Eklund,
I improve in math, because of you teaching me how to do math.  Math is getting easier thanks to you.  I'm done taking a math BenchMark test and I'm sure I am going to pass this test.  I thank you for helping me in Math."


Love,
N...."


How wonderful is that?  Talk about making my heart fill with joy and making my day.  I think any teacher can attest to the fact that we live for days like this - when we get to see the fruits of our labor...when we see our students finally grasp a concept.  So, so wonderful!

No comments: