Saturday, February 11, 2012

Another boy...

Yep - got a new student on Thursday...another boy.  I'm now at 17 boys and 5 girls.  My newest student is a sweet boy, who has the potential to be a handful, I can already tell.  His mischievous grin gives him away.  He is smart and right on track with the rest of my first graders, which is a very pleasant surprise.  So - after reconfiguring my room a bit to make things look and flow better - I think I am ready for a new week.  This quarter is flying by.  We're already at mid-term.  Wow!  My babies are almost 2nd graders.

This week was really busy and emotional.  Fighting to do what's right for ones students has always been a passion of mine and when I feel that is threatened, I am like a lioness when it comes to protecting them.  I will always stand on the side of what's best for them.  I am not a teacher for me, I am a teacher for them and I will always do what I think is right even if it means making an unpopular decision or two.  It's one of those things where I would rather take the heat for a decision I've made than put my students in a position of failing or falling short of what I know they are capable of achieving.  Sometimes the politics of teaching cloud the reasons we teach.  There are days even I need to check myself...my attitude and my thought process, but trust and believe me when I say - I never lose sight of what's best for them.

It's now the weekend...the glorious weekend.  A time to recharge, renew and reflect.  Some of my favorite things about teaching are the hilarious things my students say and the sweet things they do.  I wish I could just audio tape a day and edit together a string of funnies for you all.  Out of the blue, someone will say something that is hilarious or made funnier by its context.  "Ms. Eklund - D's a vampire."  Imagine D sitting at his desk, lips pulled back showing his teeth.  Ok - he looked more like a rabid dog, but....I'll give him 'vampire' instead.  Stuff like that....funny!  Also, this week I had a student bring me a present.  It was wrapped in a piece of spiral notebook paper...and inside was a nice, brand new pencil.  It was so sweet!  "Ms. Eklund - I brought this for you." he said with a big grin.  It was absolutely adorable and he was so honored when I sharpened it and began to use it.  Such a sweet, sweet boy!

Do I miss making money?  Yes - because as a teacher - financial security will never happen.  BUT - in no other profession will I get 'vampires' and presents wrapped in spiral notebook paper. ;)  or gently used LOVE erasers wrapped in silver thread...and Oregon teddy bears....or hand drawn pictures....or first grade hugs.  Nope, I wouldn't trade this for anything.

No comments: