Monday, October 27, 2008

The crush...another inevitability of first grade...

Last Friday was sweet for many reasons...one of them being the realization that one of my students has a crush on me.  First grade crushes are normal, after all teachers spend more waking hours with their students than their actual parents do!  So, it stands to reason that eventually someone is going to go gaga over his/her teacher.  Last year it was a little boy who drew me a picture of the two us holding hands and he wrote on it "I love you Ms. Eklund", and he would get really jealous when Eric (my husband) showed up for a visit.  This year I knew the crush was there when one of my little students came up and wanted to know if I would "go to the movies with him, at his house."  He asked if I could come over and watch the new Indiana Jones movie with him.  When I told him that I couldn't, because my mom (mother-in-law is too difficult of a concept to explain to first graders) was coming in to town, he asked if I could come over on Saturday then.  Again, I told him no, so he proceeded to ask about Sunday!  When I had to tell him that there was just no way I could come over to his house to watch a movie, he went back to his desk and wrote his phone number down on a piece of paper and brought it back to me saying, "Well, Mrs. Eklund, when you CAN come over, would you call me???"  A little later he brought back another piece of paper with, "Ms. Eklund...you're 'gorgus'", which I'm hoping means "gorgeous"...ha ha ha  Keep in mind, this is the little student who tells me how soft my arm hair is and kisses my arm.  

Truth be told, I doubt I broke his heart, as I've heard no mention of the movie today.  Ahhhh...first grade crushes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Cute!!

Anonymous said...

Soooo Cute!!!