Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The year of the parent...

So last year I had student issues. Students with behavior problems, students not listening/following directions, yadda yadda yadda. This year is once again 180 degrees different in the respect that the most serious of issues revolve around the parents in my classroom. So far this year I have had 1. one of my students removed from her house because her father was abusing her (I can't begin the tell you of the horrors that have gone on in her house, some of which I learned about only today. I am thankful beyond words she is removed from that situation. I still have nightmares about her injuries); 2. one of my student's fathers just beat the snot out of the mother this past weekend so now my student and her mom are staying with relatives (it's not a pretty situation - she's getting a restraining order on him and he's been listed as a "dangerous" parent at our school, so he's not allowed on campus, however today apparently he showed up and tried to "find" my classroom...which means he was walking around campus. I'm to call our onsite police officer immediately if he should somehow show up in my classroom or approach me or his daughter on campus at any time); 3. one of my students' parents hit on me (which is NOT flattering considering he's just slimy and weird and has also made lewd comments to another teacher on campus); 4. another student's parent's friend (got that?) wanted to know if he could be a student in MY classroom, and he promised to be a really good boy. EWWWWW! And today probably the saddest news of all...one of my students from last year lost his Dad a couple of weeks ago as he was trying to cross the border back into the US. He was deported about 7 months ago and served 6 months in prison in Mexico and was trying to make it back to the states to see his family (and brand new baby) when he died. I don't know if he was killed by border patrol or if he died of heat exhaustion or etc. He left behind a wife and three kids, one of which he had never seen yet because he was in prison. It's absolutely heartwrenching!!

In comparison, I think I would rather take students with behavior problems than deal with parents who abuse their kids, abuse their wives, hit on me, or die trying to make a better life for themselves. All of which lead to a broken family. For me, I take solace in the fact that when they are in my classroom, they are loved, protected, and respected. =)

No comments: