Tuesday, September 9, 2008

If it acts like a monkey...walks like a monkey...

...then it must be a monkey?  I have a rather creative student in my class who has recently decided he no longer wants to walk on his feet, yet wants to sluff along like a monkey.  I'm actually quite impressed, as he's fairly good at it!  Both hands on the ground and he runs, literally, like a monkey, bringing his feet all the way up to his hands before moving his hands to take another step.  It's strange to see him walk/run this way, as it reminds of some young boy who grew up in the jungle or something...my own little Pheonix version of the Jungle Boy, except my little guy can talk and write (kind of, but he's improving), and interact on a normal level with students.  It's just a little bewildering to see him walk around like a monkey.  I have to actually remind him he's a "boy" and have him walk upright.  However, the minute we get outside to the playground he's a monkey.  OR when we go outside for science experiments, he turns into a monkey.  Hmmm...I don't think my class is so boring anymore.  Between sex dreams and monkeys, nope - NOT boring.  I am, however, impressed that he no longer refers to the bathroom as the "potty".  It only took him a couple of days to quit asking to go "potty", but instead use a complete sentence and ask "Could I please go to the bathroom?"  

I love first grade!

No comments: