Thursday, March 20, 2014

When you just have to go...pee, that is...

So - on the road trip I experience what every traveler does (or maybe not, maybe it's just me)...the nervous "pee".  We were almost at our first border crossing into Oman and my body decided, "Hey, we need to pee because what happens if we get to the border and it takes forever and there are no bathrooms or we get stopped for no reason and aren't allowed to use the bathroom, or, or, or...."  Clearly - my mind was awash with a million different reasons why I might not be able to use the restroom at the border crossing.  We're in this tiny town with goats and cows just lying in the streets...on the corners...in people's yards...on the steps to businesses; essentially these animals were everywhere.  Anyway - I figured that at least one of the businesses would have a bathroom to use, so we pull over, I hop out with my wallet and ID (just in case I need to pay to use the bathroom and for some reason show ID - I know - it kind of made no sense about the ID, but oh well...I had to pee and wasn't thinking too clearly at this point.)  So, I jump out and go to the photoshop...nope...no bathroom.  I go to the business next door, nope...no bathroom, but the guy at the fruit and vegetable stand says he has a bathroom, all I need to do is follow him.  So I do...down the alley, to his house.  No joke.  Now before you judge me, let's keep a couple of things in mind...#1  I HAVE TO PEE, reallllllly bad at this point.  #2  This is the UAE and there really isn't any crime to speak of, because it's punished so severely.  #3  I was still in view of the car.  #4  I HAD TO PEE!

I followed this man who actually took me to his home, where his wife and son greeted me and allowed me to use their one and only bathroom...which was through their bedroom in the back of the house.  Again - keep in mind about how bathrooms are used here (see one of my previous blog posts about no toilet paper and kitchen sprayers), anyway - the man was very generous and kind to open up his home to a complete stranger, a foreigner no less, and let her use the bathroom so she wouldn't pee her pants.  His wife was incredibly kind as well, although he may have gotten a tongue lashing after I left, I don't know.  While I don't have pictures of him, his wife, house or bathroom, I do have a few of the town and the animals hanging out on the street corners.

OH - and it turned out this little adventure was for naught...there WERE bathrooms at the border crossing and we weren't held for any reason...and I DID get to go pee there too...because by the time I got there, my nervous bladder was already ready for round two.  Note to self - no more drinking water prior to a border crossing. ;)  Or just relax...

goat...

another one...

several of them...and a cat...and a cow...

I would hate to explain THIS to the insurance company..."Um...I hit a cow, in town, on the street corner...yes, a cow."  Actually, I think this one is a steer.



No comments: