Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A few things no one tells you about, but should...

Just look at the pic and see what kind of shampoo/conditioner it is...



Yes, that's right - "anti hair fall".  Pardon me, but WTH??  No one told me I would need THIS.  And if you're wondering what it's for - take it literally - you use it so your hair doesn't fall out as you get adjusted to the water here.  So, I'm thankful to a couple of my new friends who told me about this my first weekend in ABD - after a quick trip to LuLu's grocery, I was set.  I haven't lost any of my hair, but my eyelashes have taken a beating.  In the pharmacy across the street in the souk, they sell a shower head with a filter in it to condition the water, which also helps prevent hair loss.  I'll be heading out this weekend to get one.   Seriously.  Oh - and if you think it has any effect on one's leg hair?  No such luck...of course not.  I couldn't possibly stand to not have to shave my legs, but lose my eyelashes?  Sure - because that makes perfect sense. wow.   Not that I'm bitter or anything ;o)

Taxi drivers...are either hilarious and personable, or rude.  I haven't really experienced much in between, however they ALL drive like Formula 1 race car drivers.  You basically get in the taxi and hold on for dear life.  I might need to take out life insurance.  The upside is that it's not my car, so drive like a madman - it's less cab fare for me to pay.

Car horns...I have heard more car horns used in my one month of living here than I have my entire life living in the States.  No joke.  Rarely do you hear the polite little tap...it's the "raaaaaaaawwwwwwwrrrrrrrck".  Go ahead and be at my school during pick up....HMMOG...more horn honking than profanities used by a sailor during wartime.

"Yeah, sure..."said by nearly everyone except expats.  It's hard for me to hear it, because to me it sounds Scandinavian...I grew up around Norwegians.  Here, it doesn't mean - "hey - I know where I'm going" or "Yes, I know what you're talking about."  It literally means, "whatever - please quit talking - uh huh - yep - heard you - no seriously, quit talking - crazy tourists."

Non-aerosol hairspray is virtually impossible to find here and crazy expensive when you do.  I get that they aren't as worried about the environment over here, but to go so far as to NOT have non-aerosol hairspray?  That's just crazy talk.  Yea yea yea - 1st world problems...I get it. ;)  But, I'm down to my last tiny bit in my travel size, so it looks like I'll be spending a chunk-o-dirhams in the next few days.

I'm sure there are more things I don't know about, but should have...it's only a matter of time.




No comments: