Saturday, September 14, 2013

Life in Abu Dhabi...

Many of you have asked what life in ABD is like...well - it's much like life anywhere else one would live, I suppose.  Yes, it's a foreign country with a different language and law structure, but "life" is generally the same.  I am experiencing what any person who moves to a new city would experience.  I'm learning where to go for shopping and eating and etc.  Today, for example, I tried out a grocery store called Spinney's.  It was wonderful!  (I'm going to make spinach and feta stuff chicken breast for dinner tonight - YUM!)  I'm learning my way around the city - I'm pretty adept at telling the taxi driver where to go now.  I'm learning that near death experiences are common whilst riding in the taxi's here.  I'm learning that I can not seem to find hairspray of any kind that's not in an aerosol can (grrr), which means oh dear husband?? Yes - you - the one who said you'd do anything for me?  lol - You might get a care package ready that includes a couple of bottles of my favorite hairspray.  I'm learning that the environmental, chemical laws here regarding how toxic ones cleaning supplies are - are pretttttty lax.  The local brand bathroom cleaner (similar to scrubbing bubbles in the US) could also double for a pest infestation bomb of some sort.  I mean - seriously....I spray in the bathroom while plugging my nose, with the bathroom fan on, close the door, put a towel down under the door to block any smell leakage and wait 15 minutes...then plug my nose, rush back in and wash it off.  While the local brands are cheaper, I might just spend the extra 15-20 dirhams for brand name Scrubbing Bubbles so I'm not exposing myself to cancer causing chemicals.  ;)

I can find much of the same food as in the US, but again have been told that buying locally is cheaper...and it has been.  I've tried some amazing salads from the deli, some chicken kabobs, local breads, hummus, taboulleh, etc.  I'm looking forward to learning more about the food here and actually taking a cooking class so I can really immerse myself in the culture.  I found a divine spice store in the souk across the street, which I fully intend on exploring more fully once I take a cooking class.  Can you say saffron?  ;)

Also - everything here is essentially in English and Arabic...road signs, business signage, etc.  Additionally, most of the music I've heard thus far has been American music.  Nothing like sitting in a local restaurant only to hear "Spank That" come over the speakers.  ha ha  It's pretty surreal.

I've been fortunate enough to meet and work with some amazing people from other countries.  I'm the only American in my grade level.  I work with two lovely ladies from the UK, one from South Africa, one from Eastern Canada and one from Australia.  I'm sure by the time this year is over, I'll have quite the unique accent :) It's been learning about their cultures and the differences and similarities between our countries.  I"m now a regular tea drinker - English style - steeped with a spot of milk.  I add a little bit of sugar too, shhhh...don't tell my UK friends ;)

I've threatened my girlfriends here with exposing them on my blog...but I won't this time.  We've had several nights of fun and laughter and while they are all housed at the Wafiq tower where I was originally supposed to be, they've been gracious to include me in their crazy going out plans.  :) It's because of this I won't expose them...yet...but suffice to say, "twerk" can dance like a madwoman.  All kidding aside...it helps abate the homesickness to know I'm finding such quality ladies to hang out with here.

I am slowly trying not to work myself to death...and yesterday took a walk with a friend near the Marina Mall.  Here are a couple of pictures from that walk.



I'm off to the post office now for my first PO experience. :)  More to come later.

No comments: