Monday, September 9, 2013

Abu Dhabi - an amazing experience thus far...

Who would have thought when I posted my last blog post and added the picture that I would actually end up living in an apartment building RIGHT NEXT to the fountains in that picture.  (They are currently under renovation and aren't actually functioning fountains right now, however-  still impressive.)  I was originally not supposed to live downtown, but upon my arrival at the airport here, I was informed I would be living in the Bin Salama Towers in downtown ABD, not out on Al Reem Island.  I was initially disappointed, as I was looking forward to living in brand new accommodations with a pool and workout facility, however after getting to my apartment and finding out I had a 2BR instead of a 1BR, plus I have two extra bathrooms and maids quarters AND I'm right downtown with easy access to everything...I wasn't so disappointed anymore.  Truth be told, I love my "hood".  Location is everything and I love where I live and I love I have a 2BR...which means a spare bedroom for visitors :)  Come on over!!

So - where to start?  For some of you reading this post, you don't have access to Facebook, so I'll start waaaaay back, but will keep it brief.

A couple of years ago I explored the option of teaching overseas.  I have several friends who took the leap after graduation and it had always intrigued me.  When I became faced with taking a pay cut in my school district, I decided to look into it more seriously.  I worked with a recruiting company and when a first grade position in a private school come available, I interviewed via Skype and long story short - here I am.  I work for the Sheikh Zayed Private Academy for Girls, which is a bit confusing as we have boys here in the elementary grades.  It's a lovely school and I feel fortunate to work there.  I've also made some amazing new friends, to which I'll address later on in another blog post.  Suffice to say - I work with a tremendous group of ladies whom I'm enjoying getting to know better.

So - let's back up - here is my facebook post from a couple of weeks ago...then I'll update from the end of that post.  Hopefully, I'll get through the tedium and business of getting the school started and be able to blog more regularly - that's my goal!!

To recap....from 8/29
One week ago today I hopped on a plane bound for a destination 8000 miles (or light years – depending on one’s perspective) away. In that last week I’ve moved and gotten nearly settled into my apartment, started new teacher training/orientation (my professional growth this year ought to be outstanding), overcome 11 hour jet lag, completed government run medical evaluations and documentation (pictures, fingerprints, blood draw, x-ray, etc) for my Emirates ID, learned how to exchange dollars for dirhams, learned how to convert dollars to dirhams (and vice versa), learned a bit of my neighborhood and discovered quaint little places to shop as well as vital places to shop (such as the grocery store and where to refill my phone cards), closed my eyes and prayed I wouldn’t die as mad cap taxi drivers speed through the city, got unpacked and nearly settled, got internet hooked up, eaten some amazing food, figured out how to use my cell phone here, learned the local way of using the restroom (seriously), learned a few short phrases in Arabic and all the while making some new and really fantastic friends from all over the world. I can only imagine what the next days, weeks and months will bring. I think this does definitely qualify as an adventure and I'm loving it so far 

I'll get the whole "restroom" thing out of the way first...every bathroom has a bidet or a modified version of one that has a hose sprayer, similar to one you find in your kitchen.  TP is used after you "wash" off with the sprayer and only used to dry oneself, then thrown in a wastebasket next to the toilet; it's not flushed.  Surprised?  Confused?  Weirded out?  Yea - so was I!  To be honest, it takes some getting used to, but I think one would rather be confused and bit uncomfortable than to have your toilet back up on you!  ugh.  :)  Now THAT would be uncomfortable.

I'll address the immigration situation next and I'm just going to come out and say this...unless you've been an immigrant, you don't really have the information you need to make any sort of judgement call on immigration.  I was blessed, (yes, blessed) to live in Arizona - a hotbed for immigration in the US.  Having grown up in Montana where there was basically no diversity, becoming more aware during my life in the Pac NW and then actually experiencing first hand the tragic loss of life associated with it in Arizona (remember my student who's dad was eaten by coyotes as he tried to cross the border back into the US from Mexico?), I still wasn't prepared for what it feels like to be an immigrant.  Everything you do here is reliant upon your passport and visa.  Lose or misplace these and it's a nightmare.  At the airport I had to have my eyes scanned...yes, I had to look into this machine and they scanned my eyes.  The UAE now has a scan of my eyes...that's a bit intimidating.  Fast forward to medical testing and fingerprinting day.  I am thankful we had a "handler" that walked us through the process.  He took our passports and visas and walked us step-by-step through everything.  Even with his help, it was intimidating and nerve-wracking.  Stand in the line here, wait for your number to be called.  Sit here, stare into the camera (can I smile in this picture?  Oh - it doesn't matter? ok.)  Get up, hand your paperwork to the woman at the next station, get your name called, talk to the doctor.  Oh? No issues?  Ok, take your paperwork to the woman at the next station.  Wait for your number to be called.  Come in, sit down, let me take your blood.  Take your paper to the woman at the next station, wait for your number.  Go into that room, disrobe your top for your chest x-ray (turns out we only needed to take off our bra or anything that had metal in it - I somehow wasn't told that part and followed the directions that were given to me...so yes, I was the ONLY girl in my group to come out of the disrobing room actually disrobed and in the super duper attractive paper wrap shawl thingy - hahaha).  Put your clothes back on, go back to waiting room.  Then off to fingerprinting where they took every conceivable print off my hand that they could.  Oh - and yes, you CAN smile in your Emirates ID picture...but without showing your teeth...which means I look like the cat that ate the canary or a creepy peeping tom.  Ugh...wish I could do THAT picture over again...but no such luck. ;)

Anyway - I have had these moments that sneak up on me...moments where I am suddenly reminded that I am the immigrant, not the other way around.  Like getting in the taxi and not being able to understand what the taxi driver is saying and having that split second thought (you know the one I'm talking about...you've allllllll thought the same thing), "Gosh - why can't they speak English?"  And then realizing, the taxi driver is probably thinking, "WHY CAN'T SHE SPEAK ARABIC??"  Seriously, right?  How many times have YOU (and be honest) complained about people who have come to America as an immigrants or (gasp) "illegal immigrants" and they don't know the language...and then you're frustrated, right?  Thinking, "If they're going to come to this country, the least they could do is learn the language."  Wellllllll, let me tell you - it's not that easy.  I chose to come to the UAE and don't know a lick of Arabic.  Does that make me rude?  I don't think so...it's a hard language to learn...much like English is for those who go to America.  I will say this...I am learning tho...and I'm making it a point to learn.  It's coming slowing, but at least I'm trying.

Back to the moments that sneak up on me...today I had another moment...as I stood with my first graders in our daily assembly...facing the flag and the music starts to play.  My mind was prepared for The Star Spangled Banner, even tho I knew it wasn't going to play - part of me still expected it.  Yet, here I stood with my class (along with the 5 other grade one classes), facing the flag of my adopted country, listening to a song to which I knew none of the words, but standing respectfully with my hands at my sides, wondering, pondering really, how many of my students in Arizona had done the exact.same.thing.  Facing the flag of their new country, listening to a song to which they knew none of the words, yet stood respectfully.  In no small way I felt like I was "cheating" on the US and I struggled with that for a bit, so I can only imagine what my former firsties in AZ felt like.  I have a whole new, deeper appreciation for immigration now, because I'm living it.  And to be honest, I'm living the EASY life of it comparatively.  My school provides a 'handler' to help us through the process.  Those teachers coming here through the public sector have no such 'handler'.  Imagine what they must be going through.  I've had enough anxiety over things, having to sort through immigration without a helping hand would be immensely intimidating and all the more nerve-wracking.

The beauty of it all is that I'm in a new country - experiencing truly astounding opportunities with many more to come.  (I can't wait to start traveling around the UAE and beyond).  The beaches here are gorgeous...the people are friendly and helpful and I'm having a truly wonderful time.  Once school calms down, I'll feel like I have more free time to explore the city and outlying areas.  I wish I would have taken the leap to international education much earlier...I am learning SO much!

In the next few days I'll post about my classroom and add pictures to this blog so you're not bored!  :)

Thanks for reading and sorry for the delay in finally getting something posted!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lara - I'm so excited to have found your blog and to follow your adventure. What an incredible experience! I also appreciate hearing your perspective on immigration, and I've definitely at times been one of those "why can't they learn English" persons.

Thanks for sharing your discoveries and I look forward to following along.

Julie