Friday, January 28, 2011

You know you make an impact when...

one of your former students from your first year of teaching (4 years ago) - who changed schools three years ago, runs across the basketball court to come give you a hug. Especially when the basketball court you're on is NOT at the same school. Awwwwww. He melted my heart and gave me an instant reminder of exactly why I teach.

I coach the girls jr. high basketball team and we had an "away" game at another school last night. My former student saw me and ran across the court to give me a hug. I love this little guy so much and have missed him since he moved after first grade. It's wonderful to know that he still thinks of me and misses me too. For those of you who know this story, he is the little guy whose father was injured, left behind by his group, then eaten by coyotes while crossing the border into the US two years ago. He is amazingly resilient, sweet, loving and kind. He is the kind of kid that makes me feel "lucky" to be a teacher.

No comments: