Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What a difference a year makes!

I know you've all been so patient for an update.  Thank you.  Also, thanks to all of you who called and left messages for me for my first day!  You made me feel SO special!!!  Thank you!  Thank you!!

From the bottom of my heart, I sincerely mean what a difference a year makes!  =)  Yesterday was the first day of school and all in all it was a smooth, relatively student-stress free day.  I only really freaked out when at 7am parents started showing up at my class!  We start school now at 7:30am and at 7am on the nose parents came streaming in my room.  I had to gently ask them to give me at least 15 more minutes to get ready for the day.  I went out my door, locked it, went to the staff room and had a little tension-breaker squeal!  I couldn't help it!  This year just came on so fast.  

As for my class?  It's about 180 degrees different than my class last year.  I'm not discounting the differences between the two...it's my second year teaching (so I was a LOT less stressed and a LOT more confident), it was only day ONE, and I had 10 fewer students than last year.  But my oh my, what a difference!!  I had no major mess-ups...no students forgotten on the playground...no major behavior problems (last year I knew I had about 7 problem students by the end of the first day), no student meltdowns (last year I had three heavy criers).  Nothing happened to severely derail our day!  It was WONDERFUL!  

Right now, on the books, I have 22 students, however I have had three students who have not shown up for school for two consecutive days, so we'll see if they actually do.  My class size, even at 22 when all students are here, will be a dream compared to the 28-29 that I had last year at this time.  Yesterday I had 18 students.  Today I had 19 (one new one showed up before lunch).  It's great!!  At this point, as I mentioned, no behavior students - at least none that strike me right off the bat like they did last year.  I have some talkers...one specifically that is just "out" there.  If a hippie were to be in the soul of this young girl, I would not be surprised.  =)  I have some really bright kiddos and some pretty low ones, but all in all, I have a great feeling about this class.  They think I'm "silly", "funny" and "great".  At least that's what they said today.  Yesterday, as I did my faux British accent, they looked at me funny and I said, "Well, don't I sound like Harry Potter??"  One student's reply?  "Uh...NO, not really."  So...I tucked my tail between my legs and didn't do Harry Potter the rest of the day.  ha ha ha  It is such a different dynamic this year already.  I had one boy today declare that he was the smartest boy in the class...and to be honest, I have no doubt that he is.  He's smart, funny, helpful and kind and really, I could apply those adjectives to most of my class.  

Today was easier...students were more relaxed, I was more relaxed and we got more accomplished.  The first day is normally ALL about procedures and rules and school tours and etc., at least for first grade.  So, it was nice to get into the curriculum today and to start to find out where my kiddos are at scholastically.  Personally, I already know that some of my kids are a mess.  One student will probably be pulled out and then re-enrolled based on the whim of his mother and her drug habit.  Another student's parents are divorced and she most likely be shuttled between parents throughout the school year.  So many grownup things they have to deal with when they're only 6 and  7 years old.  However, thankfully - at least so far, I don't see depth of these problems with all my kids...only a select few.  

Today I created the "Vowel Cha Cha"...and it was HILARIOUS!  "A-E-I-O-U cha cha cha".  When I had the kids stand up to dance around the room you would have thought I asked them to eat worms.  The girls were ok, but the boys were having NONE OF IT and I finally had to threaten to dance with them if they didn't move their little legs and at least march in place.  And it's hard to threaten someone when you're doubled over in a fit of giggles!  We'll see if I have more participants tomorrow.

Other than that, I'm just getting used to (but enjoying) our early start time.  M, T, Th. and Fri. we are done at 2pm; on Wednesday's it's 1pm.  I'm not sure what I'll do with my extra time!! 

On a separate note, it was overwhelming to see some of my first graders from last year who are now second graders.  My how they've grown up over the summer!!  It was amazing to have them come running up to me and wrap their little arms around me, giving me hugs and kisses on the cheek.  They were SO excited to see me, and I was equally the same.  They walk around with the confidence only experience can bring, like over summer they realized they are now the big men and women on campus (hardly, but you get my analogy).   My biter from last year informed me that she's "friends" now with the girl she kept biting and targeting for physical attacks.  (One can only hope!)  I guess that's all in the hands of our second grade teacher now tho!  ~~  They are so precious and seemingly all grown up.  I know I'm going to cry when I watch them leave Squaw Peak and head for high school in 7 years. =)

As for now, I'm going to plan for tomorrow and then hit the gym.  Thanks again for all your well wishes!  I'll post more soon.

Lots of love!

No comments: