Sunday, July 27, 2008

The end of week 1

So this week went by fast and fairly uneventful behaviorwise...which I'm thrilled about! No funny behavior stories to share.....yet. And, without a class animal (yet - they really, really want a hamster or something - yikes) I don't even have any fun animal stories. However, I do have a class full of sweet first graders who, after being tested on their reading ability, are miles ahead of my class last year at this time. They are so far ahead in fact that I am starting them, on the advice of my reading coach, a full 4 weeks ahead in the curriculum. Yea! I'm hoping (along with her blessing) to be into the 2nd grade curriculum by 4th quarter.

This week we were the recipients of free backpacks and school supplies! We have a Community in Schools representative who coordinated the whole thing and a group of volunteers came in to pass out the backpacks and to make "crazy" paper bag hats with my kids on the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! It was a bit crazy and hectic, but well worth it. The kids were THRILLED and we got to keep all the craft supplies in addition to the extra school supplies they donated. It was great! I even got a brand new electric pencil sharpener! It was almost like Christmas!! ha ha Anyway, included in this blog are some pictures of that day. I had to "smudge" the students' faces out due to legal reasons, but you at least get to see the crazy hats they made and how much fun they had.



Being able to take some time and reflect on this past week, I am amazed at how different a class can be one year to the next. I can see that I'll have some real characters in my classroom, but it is SUCH a different dynamic this year already. I have a real "lover" in my class. He's adorable and is already telling me he "loves" me and he grabs my arm and kisses it. That's going to have to stop, but I'll give him all the hugs he wants instead. My kiddos think I'm "crazy, silly and really funny." All of this after I've had to be hard on them regarding their talking. Having 9 fewer students has definitely made a huge difference as well, although I do get a new student tomorrow, so I'll be upto 21 total if all students show up. (I have had two who didn't show up at all this past week.)

I was pleasantly surprised to be visited by two of my older friends this week. One was my 6th grade class mentee last year...she's great and was in my room for two full quarters helping with reading groups, filing and grading papers. The other student was a 6th grade boy that was originally sent to my room for misbehaving..he was on a three day suspension. But after being in my room, he wanted to come back to volunteer with my kids...and he was allowed to when his behavior was good. He stopped by on Thursday and he was really, really sweet. "Hey Mrs. Eklund...how are you? I just wanted to stop by to say HI and to give you a hug. I hope I can come to your room this year." Ahhh...it was SO perfect. It's just an incredible feeling to know that somehow I made an impact on these older kids as well.

No comments: